On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Richard Ellis wrote:

> It's been so long since I bumped up to -G 54 for timeshifting I don't
> remember, but when I tested it the reduction was worth enough to
> convince me that it was worth staying with.  I'd have to run a test
> with/without to give you actual numbers, which I can do if you'd
> like.

        After we figure out what's going awry on your system I think
        we would be interested in the difference between a standard
        gop size of 15 or so and the 54.

        for producing smaller files and with clean sources the
        eliminate single coefficient option (-E, -E -10 is a moderate
        setting) will probably do just as well as a large GOP.

> Two new runs:
>
> lav2yuv t.cut | mpeg2enc.cvs.2003.11.04 -f 8 -V 230 -b 9576 -q 10 -o t.m2v
> lav2yuv t.cut | mpeg2enc.cvs.2003.11.04 -f 5 -V 230 -b 9576 -q 10 -o t.m2v
>
> Both dumped core, with the same gdb backtrace as before.
>
> I'm at a loss to explain it so far.  And it does not seem to be
> localized to SVCD, as -f 8 did the same.  Yes, it does look like
> something localized to my system, but I can't pin it down just yet.

        Did you install all of the cvs version or just pull out the
        mpeg2enc executable?

        I'm wondering if the problem is due to linking against the
        previously installed version's libraries.   The linker seems to
        give preference to /usr/local/lib if a -L/usr/local/lib is
        used.