I am trying to encode one of my commercial DVDs onto a XVCD using dvd::rip.

The DVD title is 132 minutes. Using the following settings for mpeg2enc

-K kvcd -q 8 -N 1.0 -b 2000

I was able to get a VCD bin/cue image of 533MB! The average bitrate was 1000 kbps, max
was 1900kbps. 533MB for 132 minutes of DVD is pretty good, but the quality is not all
that good.

Most of it is good, but some sequences are blocky and there are many artifacts i.e.
halos around people, letters (subtitles rendered with transcode's extsub), etc.

How can I improve the quality? The CD-R can hold upto 800MB in raw mode, so I have
room to play.

If I bump -q down to -q 6, I get mplex buffer underruns. If I take out the -K kvcd,
the filesize shoots up to twice.

Any magic incantations to mpeg2enc to get the optimal quality at lowest filesize? Or
is it pretty much trial and error?

Thanks