On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> Indeed.  I have seen some of your traffic on the ffmpeg-devel list.

        Then you'll also have seen that the speed difference isn't as
        great has been bandied about at times (well, at least for the
        cvs version - RC4's delayed until mplex can get fixed for MPEG1
        muxing)

> I know that by default mencoder does produce avi contained files (which
> I am trying with great effort to get the hell away from.  However, it

        It is a Pain isn't?

> has a switch "-of" which you can set to "mpeg", to get an mpeg container.

        But you don't want a container.   You want an ES stream not a PS
        stream!

> >     - they're already "muxed" and definitely not MPEG1 ES files and that
> >     is why mplex can't recognize them.
>
> I don't think so.  Mplayer tells me this about the file (if there is a
> better utility to determine the parameters of an MPEG file, I would be

> Mplayer seems to think it's an MPEG-PS stream, without audio even.  I

        And what did I say about PS vs ES a little bit earlier? :-) :-)

> No it's not.  It's an MPEG file.  It could be multiplexed already with a

        True - but it's packetized into a ProgramStream

> Well, as we have discussed here before, I have no inherent issues with
> mpeg2enc other than it takes waaaaaay too long to encode.  Granted it's

        ~20% speed difference for the encoding isn't all that much.  Where
        some more speedup happens is ffmpeg/mencoder's ability to do the
        DV decoding internally rather than running thru a pipeline.   On the
        other hand I've found smil2yuv+y4mscaler to seemingly do a better
        411 to 420 conversion.

> CPU bandwidth to spend 8 hours to convert 1 hour of video that I am only
> going to watch once and then delete.

        Using the Video/TV-out on a video card?   For that type of use
        I would use MPEG-4.   For computer playing that's the better/faster
        format.   MPEG-2 is for set top boxes.   At least that's the guidline
        that's been useful for myself.

> Actually, my ultimate target is MPEG2, but I thought I would play with
> mpeg1 first.

        Going to write it to DVD or SVCD perhaps?   If not then mencoder
        to MPEG4 will do a great job.   There are a couple set top boxes
        that supposedly can handle MPEG4 but I haven't seen at the stores
        I frequent.