On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> Indeed, if you have the time to manage software in such a manner.

        If a couple minutes to save hours of encoding time doesn't make it
        worth the small amount of time then nothing will.

> MP4 containers huh?  I will have to take a look.  Do they overcome 2G
> file limitations?

        Supposedly but since the most common (that I have seen) use of the
        MP4 container (aka Quicktime) is for 320x240 "web movie" sized
        images I don't know if the players will have problems with large
        files or not.

> >     The couple things you'll need are the AAC encoder ("faac" from
> >     www.audiocoding.com I believe) and 'mp4creator' (a small part of
>
> Thanx!

        Welcome!   Uh, mpeg4ip is a big project - useful to have though.

> Yeah, but I am not talking about semantics here.  Why is a "STB/DVD"
> player more suited to MPEG2 than a computer?  Or are you just reflecting

        And neither am I.   Current usage differentiates between computer
        software playback and a box that sits on top of the TV.   Go to any
        video forum/mailinglist/whatever - you'll see that STB means standalone
        unit and not a computer.

> I use 2500 kbits/sec on full frame (i.e. no cropping, no

        If it's clean material that's a bit on the high side.   There are
        options to ffmpeg/mencoder that will allow the use of a considerably
        lower bitrate.   Mencoder can do the cropping without a speed penalty
        and that would save some bits.   I've done some encoding at ~1500
        which came out looking more than acceptable for casual viewing.

> 1 full hour is slightly more than 1GB, so anything 2+ hours blows the
> 2GB limitations.

        Yep - but most TV shows are well less than that (most movies
        too except for the occasional epic length ones).   Hmmm, MPlayer
        can handle multiple files I believe so that would be another way to
        handle the long movies - use 2 files perhaps.