On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Currently I am using mjpegtools 1.6.1.92 to convert movies to
> SVCD. How faster is the CVS version compared to the version I
> have installed? Is it stable for SVCD production? I am thinking
> about installing it and trying it.

        It's been so long since I've run what was 1.6.1.92 that I don't know
        exactly what the difference in speed was.

        Actually most of the speed up was done by changing the defaults to
        omit B frames ("-R 0"), leave '-I' as 0 (which is the default in
        ffmpeg - that's one place it gained a lot of speed) instead of 1 and
        a few other minor things.

        I've done a few CVDs (352x480 instead of 480x480) and for casual
        viewing they are great and allow for much longer play time on a single
        disc.  I managed, finally, to get a 90minute concert onto 1 CD-R.  For
        computer playing that needs to stay within a 2GB avi size limit the
        CVD resolution will be of great value too.   And the encoding at 352x480
        is quite fast.