On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Thomas Börkel wrote:

> As I wrote in another thread: I have a still example, I think, for that
> problem: http://www.boerkel.de/q.zip

        Initially, to me, that just looks like a variation on the grey
        blocks/splotches that always seem appear during dark scenes.   I wonder
        if a bit of medianfiltering, perhaps on the chroma only, would reduce
        the visibility of the discoloration.

> Problem is in the upper left corner. Most noticable in the q3 picture.

        What type of system (cpu) is being used?   SSE, MMX, MMX-Extended, ???

        If the problem disappears at higher -q values (or does not happen with
        all source material) then my theory is that there is an overflow
        condition in the internal arithmetic caused by specifying too low of
        a -q value.

        Of course that is making the assumption it's the same problem.

        Then too it is possible it is similar but not the same thing.

        Steven Schult