Hallo,

On Tuesday 10 February 2004 19.44, Bernhard wrote:
> > I am using the edit tab of LVS only because my hardware is much to slow
> > for capturing in the GUI.
>
> Why ? That shouldn't matter that much.
I am using sogtware encoding since I own a Hauppauge WIN-TV (Bt878 besed)
card.

> > - Effect windows seem to work. The picture looks strange: Instead of dark
> > colours, white pixels are displayed. Loosely spoken, black is represented
> > as white while gray (and colored) tones are displayed correctly.
>
> That can be some wrong options or something like that. Could you plreas
> run LVS in th debug mode (lvs -d) so I can see what happens.
I found the problem. It is concerned with lavtools. I was recording the
fooprint using lavrec. Apparaently, it produced many pixels (at least 10% per
image) with YUV out of the spec (16<=Y<=235, 16<= u,v <= 240). Since
matteblend.flt is programmed using the exact spec, a lot of
overflow/underflow conditions appeared giving rise to the above mentioned
effects. I added some code to matteblend.flt.c in an attempt to force the
standard. This worked well, although the process became much slower.

I heasitate to submit the code to the repository because this seems to address
a much more severe problem: Which parts of mjpeg-tools depend on the standard
being obeyed? *Where* should the constraint be enforced? For example, lavplay
works well for material out of bounds. What about mpeg2enc?

On Friday 13 February 2004 23.53, Ronald wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Michael Hanke wrote:
> > Here is what I got in the edit tab:
> > - With all the video extensions loaded into the xserver: Playing the
> > video gives only colored lines.
>
> [..]
>
> > - Removing the XVideo extension from the server makes the play window
> > working.
>
> This is an issue in SDL that I don't know how to solve. I think I worked
> on this recently in the SDL plugin in GStreamer, but didn't forwardport
> that to mjpegtools' SDL code... I probably should.
>
> Shall I make a "known issues" list for some random tools i the future?
Good idea.
In XFree 4.0.3, I did not have this problem. It seems to start with 4.1.0

Thanks,
Michael