On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Jonathan Woithe wrote:

> Hi there
>
> [ Please CC me since I don't subscribe to this list ]

        I usually do NOT do that - I consider it impolite to not join the
        group but still ask people for advice/answers/help.

        Want some help?  Join the community - it is a low volume and usually
        informative mailing list.

> The resulting disk played fine in a Pioneer DV-344 DVD player except for one
> rather noticeable problem.  Whenever there was moderate motion of the
> subject, considerable artifacts were observed.  If the subject waved their
> arm around a blocky trail would appear, disappearing around half a second
> later on average.

        Could be the same problem that Apple's MPEG-2 decoder has:  lack
        of DPME (Dual Prime Motion Estimation) decoding support.

        What happens if you play the DVD using Ogle?   It also does not
        implement DP decoding.

> When the .m2v was played back on MPlayer 1.0.0pre1 these artifacts were not
> visible.

> I'm reluctant to blame the hardware DVD player for much of this since it's a
> Pioneer DV-344 which has a reputation for playing anything you throw at it.

        Hmmm, the pioneers I've had references to were the opposite - sometimes
        picky about what they'd play - now  a Philips player will play anythin
        short of a piece of paper :)

> The result of all this is that it seems mjpeptools is putting something into
> the P frames which the hardware DVD players don't like.  Software players
> (Mplayer, ffplay) seem quite happy with them though, which is curious.

        No, it's the lack of B frames.

> Can anyone shed any light on these observations - either in terms of ways to
> "fix" the P frames or to make the "I frame only" stream happy with fast

        The answer will be to the mailing list :)