On Sunday 07 November 2004 15:40, Dik Takken wrote:
> One quick way to connect tools like lavrec to a nice GUI could be to allow
> lavrec to communicate to the world via shell commands.

It already can, sort of. Pipes.

> For example, if lavrec
> would periodically execute a user-specified command

I suspect that invoking up to 30 external commands per second would be way
more expensive than encapsulating lavrec in a script or other kind of
executable that simply talk to it via stdin/out and forward the data to
external applications.

What I _really_ think would be useful, though, is support for sockets and the
like. That way, you could read and write information connected to a running
lavrec/lavplay without too much unnecessary work. For example, it could
become possible to control lavplay with lirc, without having to build a
wrapper script.

> with recording level
> and other properties as commandline parameters, you could build a
> Kommander/KDE recording GUI with status monitoring in a matter of minutes.

Or that status GUI could query lavrec for that information directly. Neat.

/Sam