On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Michael Hanke wrote:

> Am Sonntag 07 November 2004 23.20 schrieb Steve Tell:
> >  I may yet tackle an "xlavrec" hack like this for lavrec.
>  I am looking for a slim GUI being as fast as possible ....

I have started coding in this direction.

It isn't yet anything like a "GUI", but I do have a working
--video-monitor option for lavrec that opens a simple X/SDL window
and shows the video as it is being captured.

The result looks a lot like software playback from "lavplay" - no surprise
since i borrowed a lot of code from there.

Caveats on this work-in-progress patch:
- only works with hardware mjpeg encoding (i.e. a zoran card)
- requires SDL.  probably won't build correctly if SDL isn't present.
- only tested with SDL using an Xvideo-accelerated overlay.

the patch creates a new program "xlavrec" (for "experimental" or "X", take
your pick) that accepts a new option --video-monitor D.
D is the decimation factor of the monitor window only, much like -d is for
the whole capture.
xlavrec -d1 --video-monitor 1  foo.avi
shows the full captured video in a 720x480 window;
xlavrec -d1 --video-monitor 2  foo.avi
captures the same thing but only displays a 360x240 monitor window,
which should take less cpu since it only has to decode and display one
field.

It attempts to drop the decoding and display of frames if the display
thread isn't keeping up - so it should still work on systems with
not quite enough CPU to record and display at the same time.

This already fills my immediate needs, but comments and further testing
are appreciated; the adventurous can try the work in progress by applying:
        http://www.telltronics.org/pub/mjpegtools/mjpegtools-vidmon.patch
to mjpegtools-1.6.2.
(the patch assumes that my previous the vu-meter patch is already
applied; it can be found in the same directory)

Steve