On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 10:13:28PM -0800, Steven Boswell II wrote:
> I'm testing it on a dual-processor Athlon MP 2800+
> machine.

Just FYI, HP has a collection of mid-sized test systems available via
the Internet, running various operating systems and CPU types.  I see
this includes 4-way Itanium2 and Xeon (which shows up as 8-way from
userspace) systems running Linux.  Various compilers including gcc and
Intel's icc are provided.  Access is free -- even if you're not
planning on buying one yourself -- since these are partly intended for
developers whose end-users might have this sort of hardware.  System
list and more information here:

  http://www.testdrive.hp.com/current.shtml

You wouldn't normally have 100% of the machine to yourself (they have
a more restricted testing program for that situation).  If you start
running long test jobs that eat 100% CPU time, they might take issue
with it.  But for short tests to make sure things are at least working
properly and quickly, on hardware you might not otherwise have
available, you might take a look.

Note that they only provide unencrypted telnet and ftp for connections.
No support for ssh, rsync, X11 display-back, etc.

                                                  -Dave Dodge