On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Nicolas Boos wrote:

> Le Thu, 6 Jan 2005 20:27:26 +0100 (CET)
> Dik Takken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> écrivait :
>
> > Currently, I need to run mpeg2enc 4 or even 5 times in order to find
> > the optimal quantiser number (the -q option) that yields the best
> > quality and uses all available bitrate. That's why I'm currently

        Or simply use --cbr and let the encoder vary the -q automatically.
        Specify the bitrate that will generate the desired size and the
        encoder will do the rest for you.  Replace "-q N" with "--cbr" to
        use the specified bitrate, the encoder will automatically vary the
        effective -q for you without 4 or 5 passes.  No need to use transcode
        (unless you want to ;)) - I didn't know it had a magic quality option
        <grin>

        Experience should build after after a while though - shouldn't take
        more than 1 or 2 test encodings (representative portion of the
        entire video) to get the parameters "good enough".

        Or just set -q down to 3 and be done with it :)