On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, E.Chalaron wrote:
> I was wondering what could be the most efficient method to slow down a movie.
> I have here some Super 8mm material that I reshoot frame by frame in ppm
> files.

Most efficient would be to create a custom soft-pulldown that goes from 18 to
25 or 50 since you are using pal.  Something like 2:3:3:3:2:3:3:3:3 will
convert 18 to 25.  It would be a lot easier if you used NTSC framerates.

Or you could covert to 25fps with yuvfps, but doing that will encode the
duplicate frames, wasting bits.  It won't be as smooth either.

> The original are playing at a nominal rate of 18 fps.
> Once encoded in mpeg2, grany is almost running through the TV screen.
> I thought that pulldown would be an option to bring 18 to 24 but obviously
> not since mpeg2enc is complaining about the rate

The pulldown mpeg2enc uses incrases the frame rate by a ratio of 4:5.  24fps
becomes 30.  18 would become 22.5

The reason mpeg2enc is complaining is that you are trying to use NTSC frame
rates with pal sized frames.

> ++ WARN: [mpeg2enc] 3:2 Setting frame rate code to display rate = 5
> (30.000fps)

30 fps is for NTSC.

>    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Horizontal size: 720 pel
>    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Vertical size: 576 pel

This sized for PAL.

>    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Aspect ratio code: 1 = 1:1 pixels

This is wrong, your pixels are not 1:1.  Pick aspect code 2.

> cat *.ppm | ppmtoy4m -F 18000:1000 -L |

-F 18:1 would be sufficient.