On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, E.CHALARON wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 15:40, Trent Piepho wrote:
>
> > Most efficient would be to create a custom soft-pulldown that goes from 18
> > 25 or 50 since you are using pal.  Something like 2:3:3:3:2:3:3:3:3 will
> > convert 18 to 25.  It would be a lot easier if you used NTSC framerates.
>
> Well not being a programer neither leaving in US/Canada It's gonna be a
> little difficult...

You'll need to be a programmer to add custom soft-pulldown support to
mpeg2enc.  NTSC just makes the pulldown a nicer sequence that will be smoother
to watch.

> > Or you could covert to 25fps with yuvfps, but doing that will encode the
> > duplicate frames, wasting bits.  It won't be as smooth either.
>

> Ok I supected so ...

It because a soft-pulldown can duplicate fields while yuvfps needs to act on
whole frames.  With a 2:3:3:etc pulldown, some fields are shown for 40
milliseconds, some for 60 milliseconds.  With a frame based duplicator, you'll
see some frames for 40 ms and some for 80 ms.  Since NTSC has a faster flield
rate, it would be 33ms vs 50 ms.

> > The pulldown mpeg2enc uses incrases the frame rate by a ratio of 4:5.  24fps
> > becomes 30.  18 would become 22.5
>
> the difference between 22.5 and 25 is not huge ...

No, it's not.  You could use yuvcorrect to lie about your framerate, and
change it from 18 to 20.  Your movie will play about 11% fast now.  You
don't have audio to worry about, that's nice.  Then a 2:3 pulldown will
covert 20 to 25.  Except.....

> > > ++ WARN: [mpeg2enc] 3:2 Setting frame rate code to display rate = 5
> > > (30.000fps)
>
> I assumed with this error that mpeg2enc pulldown will work only for NTSC
> and therefore my question. y4mscaler however says to get it in PAL, so I
> guess mpeg2enc would have follow. I understand then that -p will not
> work in my case at all.

It looks like mpeg2enc overrides your framerate with an NTSC one when you use
the -p switch.  It doesn't have to, it looks like a programming oversight.  I
wonder if you could just let mpeg2enc make you a 30 fps mpeg file, then change
the rate code in the header from 5 to 3 to make it pal again?  I don't know
enough about mpeg to know if that will work.

> > >    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Aspe
> > This is wrong, your pixels are not 1:1.  Pick aspect code 2.
>
> I use a progressive camera I thought that pixels were 1:1.

Probably are, but you used y4mscaler to change them from 1:1 to to 59:54.  If
you are making a pal DVD, you want your pixels to be 59:54 (or 118:81 if
 widescreen), or nothing will play it correctly.