On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Matto Marjanovic wrote:

> The "-I sar=1:1" to y4mscaler is unnecessary --- the correct SAR will
>  be read from the stream which ppmtoy4m creates.  (And if that SAR

        True - it is un-necessary.  But when I use "-I sar=1:1" it is not
        to _override_ but to _remind_ - it's an explicit pointer to me
        what's going on.  The input, in my case, is already 1:1 but I chose
        to use the -I sar as a hint to me (not y4mscaler).

>  -fix- the source, instead of -overriding- the source.)
>
> Same goes for mpeg2enc's "-a 1", "-F 2", and "-I 0".

        Now that I agree with 100% (and I think I also made that point).  If
        mpeg2enc isn't giving the expected results then the stream is not
        properly formed and needs to be fixed.

> For y4mscaler, you could use "y4mscaler -I norm=PAL -O preset=DVD",
>  and the 'norm=PAL' is only necessary because of the weird framerate.
>
>  If you want to use the 704x576 framesize, (until I make a preset
>  option for it) you could do
>          "y4mscaler -I norm=PAL -O preset=DVD -O size=704x576"

        Except when coming from the miniDV camcorder I always use
        704x480 (or for very long playing discs the "CVD" 352x480 size).

        If you're using a Canopus (or other analog -> DV converter) take a look
        at one of the frames some time - you will _plainly_ see the 704x480
        or 704x576 frame inside the 720xN DV frame and 8 pixels of junk/black
        on each side.

        Hmmm, not sure what would be a good name for the preset.   In Apple's
        parlance the 704 size is what they call "cropped D1" (D1 being
        720x486).