On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 17:02 -0800, Trent Piepho wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Lehmeier Michael wrote:
> > I record from a TV card with the following command:
> > mencoder -tv driver=v4l2:input=3:adevice=/dev/dsp:forceaudio tv:// -ovc
> > lavc -oac pcm -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=3000:keyint=50 -endpos
> > 700mb -vf pp=lb -o out.avi
> >
> > As a test I tried the following line:
> > lav2yuv out.avi | yuvscaler -O VCD | mpeg2enc -s -o mpg.mpg
>
> lav2yuv only works on mjpeg avi files, it can't do other codecs like mpeg4.
>
> You need to use mplayer to generate the yuv4mpeg stream from the avi.
>
> mkpipe stream.yuv
> mplayer -vo yuv4mpeg:aspect=59/54 -nosound -benchmark -vf scale=352:288
> out.avi
> &
> mpeg2enc -s -f 1 -o out.mpv < stream.yuv

(sorry for the late reply)
I was trying to avoid mplayer in order not to lose interlace
information. But by now I have found out that mplayer can scale with
interlacing.
For the final video I used the following:

mplayer -ao pcm -aofile stream.wav -vo yuv4mpeg -vf scale=480:576:1
out.avi &
cat stream.wav | mp2enc -s -r 48000 -b 224 -o audio.m2a &
cat stream.yuv | mpeg2enc -f 8 -o video.m2v
mplex -o out_dvd480.mpg -f 8 audio.m2a video.m2v

However, I am still not sure if I should do it that way.
I also tried to encode deinterlaced but got a significantly better
result. However, it cost me more space:
44656640 out_dvd480.mpg
28774400 out_dvd480_deint.mpg

Is there a rule of thumb when to use interlacing and when not?

(BTW, the source material was pretty old and noisy camcorder recordings)

--
Lehmeier Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>