Hi -

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005, Dik Takken wrote:

> Two questions about making video streams better suited for encoding with
> mpeg2enc:

        You've come to the right place :)

> Question 1:
>
> negative impact on image detail (Does it?). Is it always a Good Thing to
> use yuvdenoise as some sort of numerical conditioner before feeding the
> stream to mpeg2enc, no matter the image cleanness? Are there

        For conditioning like that I use either 'y4mspatialfilter' (with
        relatively high thresholds) or 'yuvmedianfilter' (in its 'fast' mode
        with a high weight on the center pixel).

> any cases where using 'yuvdenoise -f' is not advisable?

        Which is 'now'.  The new yuvdenoise that was checked in yesterday
        (Stefan rewrote it completely) does not have '-f'.

        As a last step before the encoder perhaps 'y4mdenoise -t 1' would be
        a good choice.

> Question 2:
>
> Is there any way to denoise the chroma channel, and have the denoise
> strength depend on the luma channel? It seems that humans are unsensitive

        Not at the moment.  What can be done is run 'yuvmedianfilter' on
        the chroma channels only.  Use 'yuvmedianfilter -t 0' to disable
        luma processing.

> to subtle chroma changes when the luma is very low (maybe also when it
> is very high?), so you could perform more aggressive filtering in those
> area's, saving bits for encoding.

        Which is very close (or identical) to the comment I made the other
        day about "desaturating the lows".  In dark(er) areas removing some
        of the color info does a lot to improve the encoded image.   I've found
        that desaturating the color info about 50% below 16 IRE (which roughly
        corresponds to a Y' of 32 if I've interpreted things correctly) works
        well.

        Actually the eye is relatively insensitive to color in the first place -
        that's why subsampling the chroma so drastically (from 4:4:4 to 4:1:1
        or 4:2:0) works and we still get color pictures :)

        It's possible with 'y4mspatialfilter' and 'yuvmedianfilter' and now
        the new 'yuvdenoise' to specify different thresholds/amounts/etc for
        chroma and luma.

        In the Canopus ADVC300 (if you're using or thinking of using DV) there
        are luma and chroma filtering settings available - I've found that
        using weak/mild settings for the luma but strong/aggressive settings for
        the chroma to work well.  I still filter thru y4mdenoise and others
        but doing the initial preprocessing in the hardware at capture time has
        resulted in quality I never thought I'd get from junky/old VHS tapes.