On Sun, 3 Apr 2005, Nicolas wrote:

> However I still get that one:
> aclocal: configure.ac: 83: macro `AM_PROG_AS' not found in library

        AM_PROG_AS is part of 'automake'.  If AM_PROG_AS is not defined then
        automake is not installed correctly

        'find', 'local' and 'grep' are your friends.  :)

        Let's try the simple one first:

           locate as.m4

/usr/share/aclocal-1.9/as.m4

           grep AM_PROG_AS /usr/share/aclocal-1.9/as.m4

           /usr/share/aclocal-1.9/as.m4:AC_DEFUN([AM_PROG_AS],

        If that doesn't work then a brute force approach would be:

           find / -name '*.m4' -print | xargs grep AM_PROG_AS

        That will find the .m4 file that has the macro in it.  IF nothing
        appears then automake is missing or not correctly installed.

        However, if the macro is found but you still get the error from
        'aclocal' above then automake is not finding its files.  A common
        cause of this is that automake is carefully installed into
        a versioned directory:

            /usr/share/aclocal-1.9

        BUT then 'automake'/'aclocal' only look for /usr/share/aclocal.

        In this case the fix is to create a symlink.

            cd /usr/share
            ln -s aclocal-1.9 aclocal

> Bernhard asked me if I have the AS assembler installed. Unfortunately, I
> don't find any package which correspond to that on my Debian SID

        It's not part of the assembler but part of automake.  Make sure you
        have the correct (1.7 or newer) version of automake installed.

> Do you know what package it is? I would be surprised if it's not in the
> official SID packages.

        automake.

        Look for 'as.m4' - if it's not present then install automake 1.7
        (or newer).