On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, chris wrote:

> i'm trying to create a dvd video with an lpcm
> soundtrack that has a sample size of 24 bits and a
> sample frequency of 48 kHz.  when i run mplex:
>
> mplex -f 8 -L 48000:2:24 -o sample2448.mpg movie.m2v
> sample2448.wav
>
>    INFO: [mplex] mplex version 1.6.2 (2.2.3 $Date:
> 2004/01/13 20:45:26 $)
>    INFO: [mplex] File black.m2v looks like an MPEG
> Video stream.
> **ERROR: [mplex] File  unrecogniseable!
> **ERROR: [mplex] Unrecogniseable file(s)... exiting.

> are there problems with mplex and lpcm audio?  if so,

        No, there are not any known problems if you give mplex a lpcm audio
        file.

        There are problems with a WAV files though.  Strip off the WAV header
        and produce a 'raw' LPCM file and it will work.

        Granted, mplex probably _should_ see that it's a wav file and get the
        information it needs from that rather than the command line.

        'sox' will produce "raw" output.

> soundtrack for dvd movies can be a number of formats,
> including lpcm in 16, 20 and 24 bits at 48 or 96 kHz.
> is there a transformation that needs to happen on a
> standard wav file to convert to lpcm first?  my source

        Yes, something like

        sox input.wav sox.raw

        might do the trick - but check the manpage first ;)

        Most of the time folks are trying to squeeze as much playing time as
        possible onto a disc so uncompressed audio is not frequently used.
        384Kb/s AC3 should be enough for all but the most 'golden ears' ;)