On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Dave Chapman wrote:

> I've just checked the sox CVS (see http://sox.sourceforge.net) and
> 24-bit support is still on the TO-DO list.  To quote that file:

        :(

> I've just started exploring 24-bit audio under Linux, and share your
> feeling that very few applications support it.  I don't know about the
> closed-source world.

        It's very well supported.   Most (all?) of the professional gear
        available handles 24bit audio - multiple 24bit streams use a lot
        of bandwidth and I've seen IEEE1394  used as the transport mechanism.

> program that supports 16-bit and 24-bit samples.  I'll add 20-bit when
> I've worked out how they are stored - I'm assuming there's even less
> demand for 20-bit than 24-bit.

        Can't say I've ever seen 20bit used but I'd think it would be a
        reasonable compromise on the amount of space used.  DTS has less
        compression than AC3 and would work except that DTS encoders are
        quite expensive.

> I'm sure lots of people would like to see WAV support in mplex, but I
> don't have the time to attempt that at the moment.

        Shouldn't be that hard to check for the RIFF header and extract
        the parameters.  The trickier part would seem to be doing the
        byte flipping and/or repacking.

        One thing I do wonder though is:  are folks taking as much care with
        the video as they are with the audio?  If 24bit uncompressed audio
        is considered necessary shouldn't video be captured/processed/rendered
        in 8 (or even better 10) bit uncompressed form (which in the studios
        means 10 bit uncompressed 4:2:2) with a final conversion to 8bit 4:2:0
        at encoding time?  Even using DVCPRO50 (50Mb/s 4:2:2) would be better
        than DV25 or MJPEG.