[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Dave Chapman wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hallo,

I think there has to be a bug in the mplex tool with lpcm. That is what I have
done:

1. sox NAME.wav -t raw -x -s -w -c2 -r48000 NAME.lpcm
2. mplex -S 0 -f 8 -V -o NAME.mpg NAME.lpcm NAME.m2v
  It make no different if I also use "-L 48000:2:16"
3. Try to play this file with mplayer and xine. Video is OK, but Sound
  make just a noise.
If you compare the bytes in NAME.wav and NAME.lpcm, are they
byte-swapped?  (They should be).  If not, then you should remove the -x
option to sox.
No the bytes are not swapped. The "-x" option swaps the bytes only if it
is nessasary. So you get the same NAME.lpcm file without the "-x". I
started my test with just cutting of the wav header with dd and the NAME.lpcm was even then the same.
That's the cause of your problem. WAV data is always little-endian, and LPCM files for DVDs must be big-endian.

If you can't get sox to do that conversion, then you may like to try the "wav2lpcm" program which does this conversion (and the necessary byte re-packing for 24-bit audio). It's only available via CVS (as part of my dvd-audio project at Sourceforge). You can browse it here:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/dvd-audio/tools/

Dave.