On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, [ISO-8859-1] Bernhard Fr?hmesser wrote:

> So far i have the vob file on the HDD, and mpeg2dec reads it, but do i
> have to use a pipe here to store the output in a file? Right now the
> video displays on the desktop. With -o pgm i get a pgm for each frame.

        Why not use 'mpeg2dec -o pgmpipe ...'?

        You get a stream of the 'pgm' images.  'pgmtoy4m' from mjpegtools
        understands that format and will assist in the repacking (it really
        isn't a "conversion" - the bytes themselves are not changed).  The
        frame size will be computed by pgmtoy4m but the rate, aspect ratio and
        chroma sampling info must be supplied by the user.

        No, you do not have to use a pipe if you have lots of space.  But
        compressing DVD video will multiply the size about 20x - DVD video
        averages in many cases between 5 and 9 Mb/s and uncompressed video
        is ~125Mb/s.

        Perhaps this script (which I use to recode HDTV broadcasts to DVD)
        will be useful (of course the aspect and frame size numbers will need
        to be changed if you're in a 625 line country ;)):

----------------------
#!/bin/sh

N=072405105923

# Since a full frame is 704x480 (NOT 720x480!) exact scaling with
# NO cropping/padding can be done by explicitly setting the SAR to 40:33 and
# the output size to 704x480!  Previously when scaling to 720x480 there would
# be either cropping (when using -O infer=simplify) or padding (when using
# -O infer=exact).

mpeg2dec -o pgmpipe $N.m2v | \
  pgmtoy4m -i t -a 1:1 -r 30000:1001 -x 420mpeg2 | \
  y4mscaler -v 0 -I active=1920x1080+0+0 -O infer=exact -O sar=40:33 -O
size=704x480 -S option=cubicK4 | \
 bfr -b 10m -T 70 | \
  mpeg2enc -f 8 -b 8600 -q 2 -D 10 -E -12 --dualprime-mpeg2 -K tmpgenc -4 1 -2
1 -o new-out.m2v