On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 17:08:58 -0500
Richard Ellis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Actually, it's not that tedious, and no calculations are needed, at
> least to get enough of a header to make one of the "lav" programs
> (lav2yuv for example) to read the file.

Then the file length longword in the header is wrong, but perhaps that doesn't
matter all that much when:

> However, the resulting file, while working enough to recover the
> data, does not work perfectly.  Lav2yuv would "process" on the file
> for a real long time before outputting anything.  I suspect it was
> reading through the whole file for some reason before outputting
> anything.

It is not complete. Avi files are supposed to have an index in the end, and if
it is missing, it has to be rebuilt. Of course, this invalidates the file
length longword anyway, and it may very well be because of that one can
substitute the unwritten header with a written one.

/Sam