Nicolas wrote:

> > > Exactly. At least with the SVN version I fetched 1 month ago. ...

Note that at least in cinelerra 2.0 there's an checkbox in the "mpeg2"
rendering dialog box which says something like "bottom first field order".
This appears to affect the yuv4pmeg2 stream header only - it flicks the flag
used to indicate the field order without actually affecting the datastream.
The datastream sent keeps the field order of the original footage. When
constructing the yuv4pmeg2 stream, cinelerra by default appears to assume
top-field-first which, while perhaps being appropriate for NTSC-land (which
I have no direct experience with) is not right for those of us using PAL
(which is always bottom-first).  Thus if one is using bottom-field-first
material (which is definitely the case if it's PAL-DV) you need to ensure
this check box is active (or just do the yuvcorrect thing you mentioned
earlier).

Then Steven wrote:
>       Interesting - at one time there was just 1 developer and he was
>       impossible to contact.

I think we're talking about two different things.  Cinelerra *itself* is
developed by a single person as Steven said; the developer's website is at

  http://heroinewarrior.com/index.php3

There is no mailing list and it one generally has to wait for the changelog
of a new version to come out before you know the state of any patches
submitted.  This is the "single developer" Steven was talking about.

In an attempt to make development a little more fluid, a group of people
set up

  http://cvs.cinelerra.org/.

Yes, they now use SVN - the switch was made a few months ago for various
reasons.  In any case, this group has a number of active developers, a
publically available SVN repository (was CVS up until a few months ago) and
effectively acts as a staging ground for improvements to cinelerra before
the patches are pushed to heroinewarrior for consideration.  As the
statement on cvs.cinelerra.org says:

  This is a branched version of Cinelerra sometimes called Cinelerra-CV.
  Please visit about section for more information regarding this duality.

The "CV" in "Cinelerra-CV" I think stands for "Community Version" or
something like that.  The "about" page adds:
  This page offers a collection of user contributed tutorials, some links,
  and a CVS repository. It is intended for developers and adventurous Linux
  users who want to contribute to the development of Cinelerra.

As to which one is best... I've had mixed results.  The Cinelerra-CV release
is widely regarded as being more usable generally, but depending on precisely
when you grab a snapshipt it can contain invasive bugs.

So while Nicolas was refering to Cinelerra-CV, Steven was thinking about
the heroinewarrior version.

It should be noted that Cinelerra-CV are very particular about calling
themselves a branch rather than a fork.  When heroinewarrior releases a new
version they resync themselves to that version.  Their intention is to
contribute things back to the heroinewarrior build which is still considered
to be the master source.  By setting up the SVN stuff as they have, patches
get wider testing and refinement much quicker than if they were fed through
heroinewarrior, who tends to make about 2 releases a year.

Regards
  jonathan