On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Delio Pereira Guimaraes wrote:

> On Thursday 06 April 2006 17:39, Steven M. Schultz wrote:
> >     megabits/sec.   Thus for a 120 (2hr) movie on a 4.38GB DVD-R we have
> >     560/120 = 4.666 megabits/sec or "-b 4666".  I round up and add a little

> This is all I wanted, a magic number (560). I've been using bitrate calculator
> Thanks for sharing this knowledge with us.

        You're welcome.

        I can't claim credit for '560' though - got that out of one of the
        DVD Studio Pro manuals.  The extrapolation to double layer media
        is something I did to test my arithmetic skills :)

        When the calculated average bit rate gets around 4000 or so it's time
        to consider either 1) using double layer media, or 2) using two
        single layer discs, or 3) using "half D1".  MPEG-2 with full size
        frame (720xN) begins to look poor if the average rate goes too
        much below 4000Kb/s.  Double layer media's become affordable enough
        that if the project's more than 2hrs long I use double layer media.