On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, [UTF-8] Bernhard Fr??hmesser wrote:

> I have been playing around a bit with the -m and -M option(s) but i am
> not sure what they are good for, if i use them i get some weird graphics

        They are median filters.  The -m is applied BEFORE the -t.  The -M
        is applied after the -t.

> within the video, bit square dots and the whole picture look like
> painted (some kind of "oilpaint"). So -m and -M doesn??t look like i can
        I have not seen bit dots.  But the "painted" effect is what
        median filters can do to a picture.  Probably not a good idea to
        use both -m and -M.

        Median filtering is a "big hammer" - it can easily artifact, giving
        things a flat look.  For noisy color movies I might use something
        like "yuvmedianfilter -t 0" but almost all of the time I do not
        do any medianfiltering at all.

> I always used yuvdenoise -s 4,5,5 -g 64,255,255 -t 3,3,3 for really old
> VHS source matterial. I got some good quality with that options.

        -s has been a NO-OP (do nothing) for quite a while.  The option was
        removed a day or so ago.

> The DVD player is a bit old  you know :-)
> It really doesn??t look good, so i need to deinterlace.

        Ok.

> If i play the video directly from the notebook via TV cable on the TV it
> looks good, but the DVD with this old player i have got doesn??t look good

        Hmmm, time for a new DVD player ;)