On 14/09/2007, at 3:23 PM, David McNab wrote:

>> I am thinking about doing something more intelligent than line
>> doubling. (maybe adaptive blending)
>
> Oh yes, please do! :)
>
>> And making better support for different chroma subsampling, but maybe
>> next week.
>
> Less urgent, since many yuv4mpeg tools seem to be hardwired to 4:2:0.
>
> But in a perfect world, all the tools would support all the ss modes.

I've written some generic utility functions that handle any chroma
plane size.
And changed the way I think about processing a video frame, so any
new filters I write automatically support any chroma size.
I'm re-working my old filters to support these utility functions.

>> There are a lot of good deinterlacing algorithms out there but most
>> of the implementations are for systems other than mjpegtools.
>
> mjpegtools absolutely needs a lossless deinterlacer.

Any filter that doesn't touch the original scanlines while
interpolating the missing ones could be considered lossless.
So it's up to really good interpolation algorithms to make the de-
interlacer good.

> I've been getting great results with yuvmotionfps, especially when
> block
> size and search radius are tuned appropriately for the footage.

I guess I don't know enough about the settings to get an acceptable
result from it.

> What would be brilliant is a tool to convert 4:2:0 to 4:4:4alpha and
> back, and for all the mjpegtools and 3rd party yuv4mpeg tools to
> support
> 4:4:4alpha. Doing the maths to convert 4:2:0 YUV to RGB and back is
> presently a coding pain and a resource waster.

y4mscaler I know can do chroma conversion, though I'm not sure if
alpha is supported.

> And - would be awesome if ffmpeg had options to output YUV streams
> with
> any chroma subsampling. It seems hardwired to 4:2:0 at the moment.

Check out my libav2yuv (apart from being annoying to compile, needs
the ffmpeg libav shared libraries)
It allows any chroma subsampling output and I find it simpler to use
than ffmpeg.

Mark