It's worth noting that the 2nd graphic given on
http://thenextweb.com/insider/2015/08/26/how-we-use-our-phones-is-changing-in-a-big-way-heres-the-data-that-proves-it/
tells us that most app usage is on facebook, entertainment(games). I
interpret this as the web is not as engaging as an app. Compare an
addictive RPG mobile game with a blog post / wikipedia article - of
course more time is going to be spent in the former. I don't think you
can compare the two and a lot of these reports bother me since they
seem to forget this.

When I was commuting to school back in the day I invested my time on
my Nokia 3210 on the game snake. When I got WAP I'd read BBC news sans
images. When data was cheaper/faster - blog posts/news articles.  Now
I have apps my options are endless.. Twitter.. Facebook... maps... ahh

My interpretation is people are choosing to invest their internet time
on things such as messaging and entertainment rather than web and that
we need to find ways to engage people in the Wikipedia rabbit
hole/experience, the platform not being relevant.

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 8:26 AM, Tilman Bayer <tba...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> .. well, that would be a bit too simplified, but there's food for
> thought in these two reports:
>
> http://qz.com/466089/the-fastest-growing-mobile-phone-markets-barely-use-apps/
> ("In Asia and Africa, websites made up 90% and 96% of mobile
> impressions, respectively, in the second quarter.
> Their habits are a sharp contrast to the US, where apps accounted for
> 91% of impressions. Globally, there’s a more even distribution, with
> apps making up 56% of mobile impressions and websites comprising the
> remainder.")
>
> http://thenextweb.com/insider/2015/08/26/how-we-use-our-phones-is-changing-in-a-big-way-heres-the-data-that-proves-it/
> ("According to Yahoo’s data, the use of the browser on smartphones is
> quickly declining [in the US]. From 2013 to 2015, the company saw the
> usage time of the mobile browser drop by over 50 percent as they moved
> to native apps instead.")
>
> --
> Tilman Bayer
> Senior Analyst