I think what confused me is that without the ModemManager i.e. using just cgact=1,1 to manually connect, i suddenly got an ip address assigned to the network interface provided by the modem. I thought it was NetworkManager running its dhcp client on that interface after getting a dhcp discover ? from the modem ? (i'm not too sure about how dhcp goes about its business)

Anyway i have now tried to use Network Manager to setup and connect but now am getting the following message:

modem-broadband[ttyUSB0]: failed to connect 'meig': Connection requested both IPv4 and IPv6 but dual-stack addressing is unsupported by the modem.

and disabling ipv6 I get:

 failed to connect 'meig': Connection requested IPv4 but IPv4 is unsupported by the modem.

Any idea where to start debugging that ?