this is one of my favorite lines in any of modest mouse's discography too.
as far as the part "i don't feel at all like i fall" goes, i really can't
say what it means in a literal sense.  i know it stikes a chord deep down
that makes perfect sense.  i can't explain it.  it's expression of a feeling
i can never find the words for.

everyone has their own interpretation of songs.  that's fine because that's
the beauty of most poetry.  here's my interpretation of custom concern.  i
believe when he says "we're losing all touch losing all touch building a
desert" i think he is bringing us back to one of issacs favorite themes.
expansion of "civilized" society and all of the ills that follow.  "we're
losing all touch..." is kind of how we all go about our days like machines
and most people never really communicate anymore.  most people are becoming
automotons carrying out their daily tasks without love or passion for any of
it.  that point also relates back to "gotta go to work, gotta go to work,
gotta have a job".  ya gotta be part of the machine right?  where are you if
you aren't according to most in american society?  "...building a desert."
think about all the forrests and fields destroyed for parking lots and other
slabs of concrete that are flat and barren much like deserts.  ahh progress.
i have seen it turn much of the woodland i would play in as a child into
strip malls.  i agree strongly with alot of what issac has to say about such
things.  wonder where all his wisdom comes from?  always knows how to put
the words together just right.

jsn