Just to second (or third, or fourth) the running theme...

Not having a dictionary in front of me right now, I might be wrong, but I
believe "indie" is the abbreviation of "independant", meaning unsigned for
the most part, but also indicating some kind of dissassociation from the
mainstream. And the icky things about the mainstream are a herd mentality,
lack of discriminatory abilities, and adherence to a style of
dress/speach/living in order to feel more at home with a certain group of
people.
The "indie rock" image is just as bad as the Abercrombie and Fitch
image...it just costs less, and requires more time and energy to bone up on
the discographies of obscure bands local or otherwise.
I fell in love with Modest Mouse five years ago at a defunct firehouse aka
adolescent hangout in Redmond, WA, for the simple reason that the music
expressed every sentiment I have about suburbia, public schooling, rampant
development, depression, etc...only more poetically than I think I could
express it. For some reason that's far more important to me than whether or
not I've got the Dickie's shoulder bag, short bangs and stylishly worn
vintage jeans.
So, yeah...this is probably just the product of living in Olympia for too
long now, but seriously, I think scenesters isolate themselves on
purpose...because it's not as valuable once everyone else is into it. If I
didn't think that fame and fortune made people assholes, I would like the
whole world to listen to Modest Mouse...and I do mean *listen*, because
low-slung pants and holey t-shirts or no, I think Mr. Brock has got one hell
of a point to make, and he makes it very well.
Someday I'd like to sit down and have a conversation with Isaac Brock over a
cup of coffee and a pack of cigarettes, and I hope to God he's not anything
like the scores of dissaffected, bored, unwashed indie boys I meet again and
again at shows. I hope he's the beautifully insightful, hesistantly
intelligent, poignant yet down-to-earth man who's voice comes through my
speakers every day, who just so happens to make a few records and scream
into his guitar strings every so often.
Of course, that's just me.

keight