Matt Sergeant writes:
 > On Wed, 06 Oct 1999, Perrin Harkins wrote:
 > > Matt Sergeant wrote:

 >Oracle 8i
 >configure
 > > >
 > > > It's running MySQL, and Oracle is your problem. The trouble is it's just
 > > > too damn slow (no flame wars please, unless you've run side by side
 > > > comparisons to prove me wrong with 8i - my tests were on Oracle 7). Either
 > > > switch to Sybase (significantly faster while still offering all the
 > > > features of Oracle) or realise that you don't need all those features and
 > > > switch to MySQL. (MySQL doesn't have views, triggers, transactions and a
 > > > bunch of other important features that Oracle provides).
 > >
 > > Oracle could never be as fast as MySQL at returning a bunch of data from
 > > a simple query.  The additional features will slow it down.  However,
 > > I've seen it come close with good DBAs and good hardware, and even pass
 > > MySQL on more complex queries where its strengths come into play.  It
 > > should be able to compete favorably with Sybase in this department, if
 > > properly tuned and cared for, but I've never used Sybase so I can't
 > > speak from experience.

My experience (admittedly limited with Oracle) is that Sybase requires
quite a bit less resources than Oracle for a given performance level
(ie transactions per second). I also think that Sybase has superior
backup and restore facilities.

Also Sybase has a totally free version out for linux (ie it's not
supported but it's free for both development and deployment) which
could be interesting for a startup, and potentially migrate to more
serious hardware for the dataserver later, as needed...

Michael
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    -||-  http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler