Jeffrey> Cookies are an acceptable way to make the browser remember
Jeffrey> something about your site.

Speak for yourself.  I'd change that to "... one possible way ..." instead
of "acceptable way", and add "... for a single session".

Cookies are evil when used for long-term identification.

There is no one-to-one correspondance between a user and a browser,
and yet cookies presume so.  In a given week, I might use four or five
browsers, and a few of those will be in public places, like libraries
or client's sites.

Be careful when you use cookies.  Make sure it's your LAST choice.
Mangled URLs and hidden fields are other straightforward alternatives.