Jeffrey> Randal, how do you suppose that HTTP basic auth works?  The
Jeffrey> user agent stores the username and password and transmits
Jeffrey> them to the server on every request.

The difference between a cookie and a basic-auth password is that for
a basic-auth, *I* am carrying the credential (the user/password), and
the browser is merely caching it, and I have some control over that.
A cookie is its own credential and therefore non-portable.  Until
someone invents a "cookie wallet" that I can plug into each browser
I'm using at the moment, cookies for long-term auth are truly
unusable.

Jeffrey> This is exactly identical to a cookie which is set to have a
Jeffrey> short expiration time.  That's why I say replacing basic auth
Jeffrey> with cookies is acceptable: both of them are a totally
Jeffrey> inadequate way to authenticate users.

Yes, and I agree with you.  For *short term* auth, cookies are OK.
But I've seen too many apps out there that use cookies for unique ID
for long term.  Wrong.  Broken.  Busted.  Basic-auth would be way
better, although still not ideal.