On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Robin Berjon wrote:
> At 14:02 27/10/1999 -0400, Gunther Birznieks wrote:
> >The advantage of using sendmail is
> >
> >[1] a centralised MTA config.
> >[2] Graceful handling of problems and requeueing of messages if the SMTP
> >server specified by Net::SMTP would normally be down. eg automatic
> >resilience based on MX record rerouting can be nice.
> >
> >Although in a mod_perl situation, I understand the launching of a system
> >call is not the best thing to do. However, it could be if sendmail itself
> >is launched to asynchronously handle the posting of the mail while the
> >cript continues on (if the mail server were otherwise slow for some
> >reason).
>
> To pretend this roughly on-topic, we'll say that the problem is actually to
> avoid spawning an external process everytime you want to send mail (which
> is imho the only problem with using sendmail). So far I have solved this by
> writing all emails to a file which gets rotated by a cron job. It's worked
> fine for me.

I have achieved this by dumping sendmail. Seems like a far cleaner solution
to me. Personally I use qmail, although I hear postfix and post.office are
all good solutions. (although I don't know about the other's wrt spawning
processes)

--
<Matt/>

Details: FastNet Software Ltd - XML, Perl, Databases.
Tagline: High Performance Web Solutions
Web Sites: http://come.to/fastnet http://sergeant.org
Available for Consultancy, Contracts and Training.