> I brought it up.  I guess I should have been more clear, but I
> did it specifically for the authors of embedded perl/tag
> packages such as Embperl, ASP, Mason and HTML::Template.

I am not sure if they want to pantent embbedding a programming language in
HTML, or just their language (They later won't touch us):
"VirtualSellers.com Inc. (OTC BB:VDOT) Friday announced that it has
submitted an application with the United States Patent and Trademark Office
to obtain patent protection for its proprietary programming language,
TAME(R) (Tag Activated Markup Enhancer)" (from
http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/f_headline.cgi?day3/200071089&ticker=vdo
t)

If they want to patent the gerneral aproach, Mircosoft also can't use it's
ASP anymore. I don't think that this will happen. If Microsoft ASP is
allowed to coexist, why not Apache::ASP and if APache::ASP why not Embperl,
Mason etc.

> I intended for the authors of the packages to get "up in arms" and
> send the patent office documentation on prior art so they could
> nip this patent process in the bud.  Once it becomes patented, it
> is much more expensive to fight than before a patent is issued.

My english is much to bad to write about juristic things (I won't understand
most of them even in german :-(, I even not quite sure if I understand all
the details of the article in the above URL, so anybody with better english
and more juritic knowlegde should take a look at it. Anyway, if anybody can
write an email to the pantent office and tell them that there are already a
bunch of other solutions out there,(Embperl is out for 4 year now,
Apache::ASP at least 3 years, so I guess, but I don't know they are older
then TAME.) that would be fine with me.

> If Embperl gets taken out of circulation because of patent infringement,
>
> I have a lot of work to do in order to replace it.

Not only you...

Gerald

E-Mail:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Voice:    +49 6133 925151