According to Barb and Tim:
> It could really enhance your integrity if you also
> presented honest evaluations of the downsides of Perl.

Perl has two downsides. One is the start-up time for
the program and mod_perl solves this for web pages.

> The promotion of Perl on this site is so ubiquitous and
> one sided, and Perl has such a bad reputation in many ways,
> that somebody like me has a hard time swallowing the sunny
> prognostications and finally diving in, unless I see
> full honesty.  The language itself is hard enough to swallow.
> Just a suggestion.

The other down side is that it is fast and easy to write working
programs that are difficult for someone else to understand.
That is, it accepts an individual's style instead of forcing
something universal.   I guess everyone here is willing to
accept that tradeoff.

  Les Mikesell
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]