Hi all,

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Please try to keep it clean and not encourage off-topic questions.

Sorry, Stas, you're quite right.  I often do reply privately to the
off-topic questions, and I suppose even that might be construed as
encouraging them.  I do however also try to point out gently that it
*is* off topic, and so shouldn't be here on the List, and also when
you should press `D'.  Er, now.

It's not always easy to know where to draw the line.  And unlike many,
I like the prickly feeling I get at the back of my neck when I think
that the likes of the Camel Book's authors are probably disecting my
replies and will blow me out of the water without mercy if I get it
wrong.  It's kind of like doing homework exercises, and it's amazing
what you learn when you try to explain something to someone else.  I
guess I'll lose some of these joys if I don't reply to the completely
off-topic questions that go to the List.  But that's OK.

For the record, I'm happy to answer Perl-specific questions if mailed
to me privately.  I can't guarantee to cope with the demand, even if
there's only one question in my mailbox.  And it has to be said that
if you have to ask me (and if I can answer it:) then it's probably a
dumb question.  But that's OK, too.

As for keeping it clean, well I suppose it was a racist joke...

73,
Ged.