On 20 Jan 2000, Greg Stark wrote:
> I tried to use the minspareservers and maxspareservers and the other similar
> parameters to let apache tune this automatically and found it didn't work out
> well with mod_perl. What happened was that starting up perl processes was the
> single most cpu intensive thing apache could do, so as soon as it decided it
> needed a new process it slowed down the existing processes and put itself into
> a feedback loop. I prefer to force apache to start a fixed number of processes
> and just stick with that number.

This shouldn't happen if you preload most or all your code that you use.
The fork is very effective on modern OSes, and since most use
copy-on-write methodm the spawning of a new process should be almost
unnoticeable.

Stas Bekman    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.stason.org/stas
Perl,CGI,Apache,Linux,Web,Java,PC     http://www.stason.org/stas/TULARC
perl.apache.org    modperl.sourcegarden.org   perlmonth.com    perl.org
single o-> + single o-+ = singlesheaven    http://www.singlesheaven.com