I looked at mod_proxy and found the pass thru buffer size
is IOBUFSIZ, it reads that from the remote server then
writes to the client, in a loop.
Squid has 16K.
Neither is enough.
In an effort to get those mod_perl daemons to free up for long
requests, it is possible to patch mod_proxy to read as much as
you like in one gulp then write it..
Having done that, I am now pretty happy - mod_rewrite mod_proxy
mod_forwarded_for in front of modperl works great.. just a handful
of mod_perls can drive scores of slow readers! I think that is better
than squid for those with this particular problem.
-Justin