> You're confusing the dynamic and static linkers.  The dynamic linker is
> what he was referring to; it knows what libraries it resolves symbols
> to.

Yes, I know this difference and you will be right in most cases, but the
address that is returned, could be passed around to other libraries and the
linker can't know this. (the dynloader.so can retrieve an adresse of
embperl.so and pass it's address to modperl.so, which then pass the address
to whatever. How should the dynamic linker know, that whatever is calling
the symbol in embperl.so (and stores the address)

Gerald