Fair enough, sorry for the throat-biting, everybody.

Let me just say:
1) Ask the recruiter what they are charging the company you will be working
for (the bill rate).  If they don't want to give it to you, your butt is
being humped.  Find another recruiter.
2) VERIFY this with the company you will be working for.  Get the recruiter
to give permission to the company's accounting department.  Ask them to see
an invoice.
3) The most they should be taking is 25%.  You can even negociate a sliding
scale, getting lower over time.  It should always be at most 25% or find a
different recruiter.
4) Everything is a negotiation.  The recruiters are negotiating for themselves.

BTW, #1 and #2 are from the Contract Employee's handbook, at
www.cehandbook.com.  A lot of good techniques there for finding your own
contracts, how to wrassle the recruiters in line, etc.

The NACCB that TechPro talks about has a fuzzy list of policies and doesn't
seem to be as good to the consultants as it could be.  First, the NACCB has
been criticized here:  http://rmpcp.com/naacbmem.html
and more importantly, their list of policies does not specifically state
how people won't get screwed, ie, they will disclose the pay and bill rates
and markups to everybody, which is one of the things the CEHandbook says to
insist on.

Finally: Group apology.  My above How-to-deal-with-recruiters posting may
approach spam for mod_perl, but since recruiters have just waved their
flags in here, and that I have this dream of the battle-grizzled
consultants (like myself) helping out the newbies at risk whereever in the
internet they may be, I hope I (and others) can post these few
things.  Think of it as the ex-cheerleader warning the new cheerleaders
about the coach and the rides home from the parties.

MJ