On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Bakki Kudva wrote:

>  Stas Bekman  wrote on Tuesday, April 04, 2000 2:59 AM :
>
> > Well, I've just installed the G2 Player and tried it. Yes it's quite good.
> > May be you are right and it would work. So are you going to give it a
> > whirl?
>
> I'd love to give it a try. Couple of starting points.
>
> 1. Conferences will not be a good source for the material. So we'll have to
> find an alternative. We may have to compile this incrementally, slide by
> slide. The slides/audio files can be created by the author, (who can be the
> 'guru'? Would you have the time to do it?) or I can have some one just read
> from a script.
>
> 2. I am not sure what the SUN site uses at the server side. We can do ours
> using mod_perl ofcourse unless something like it already exists. I like the
> "last slide", "next slide" buttons to which we may be able to add "last
> chapter#", "next chapter#"  buttons to make the presentation more
> interactive. With some help I would be willing to roll this out myself. My
> web site is at Verio. So mod_perl won't be possible there, though I would
> have loved to host the site there. If we can do it with CGI may be it can be
> hosted there. The simplest way to put audio would have been with the
> <bgsound> tag and .wav, or .au files. Unfortunately this works only for IE.
> Don't know if Netscape v4.72 supports it yet. Any ideas here?

Looking through the w3c site, I don't see the element <bgsound>
*anywhere*.  Hopefully Netscape does not and will never support such an
abomination.

Consider just this once that HTML is not the preferred way to deliver this
kind of content.  Perhaps the tutorial could be in the form of an MP3
file, with instructions to turn to the next slide periodically.  The slide
could be HTML scaffolds around an image.  Anyway, this has the advantage
of following standards and also allowing the user the freedom to move the
audio stream and slides independently.

-jwb