Ken> i'm just learning about the beautiful magic of the RewriteEngine.  could
Ken> this be a good solution for you?  in order to make sure cookies always
Ken> work properly on http://mp3.boston.com which is aliased as
Ken> http://music.boston.com, we use the following RewriteRule:

Ken>     RewriteEngine on
Ken>     RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}   !^mp3\.boston\.com       [NC]
Ken>     RewriteRule ^/(.*)         http://mp3.boston.com/$1 [L,R]

I think this also suffers from placing the burden on the client.  The
[R] there with an external rewrite means that the client will get
redirected if it doesn't tell you the right "Host:" header.  But
HTTP/1.0 and older browsers (and some spiders) will NOT tell you that
header, so you get in an infinite loop.

The solution is that you must allow for an unspoken "Host:" header to
fall through to a generic v-host.