On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Paul McCumber wrote:

> I want to build a web page dynamically with content from several other web
> sites.  I need to be able to fetch the remote URL's content into variables.
> How do I do that?
>
> For starters, I just have a module that just goes and gets a URL and writes
> that URL back to the browser.  Can't even get that to work.   I think the
> hardest thing for me is that there is just no way to debug it.  Admittedly,
> I'm new to this environment but I just getting killed.  Very easy thing to
> do in ASP but I want to use Perl and Apache and Linux.

well, this isn't really mod_perl, just perl.  if you're having trouble
debugging (yes, mod_perl is a bit more of a challenge to debug, having to
restart your server b/w code changes, unless you use StatINC), then i'd
recommend writing your first iteration as a straight CGI script, using
"strict" and all that good stuff.  if it works properly, you could always
run it (mostly) unchanged under Apache::Registry.

for the fetching of remote web sites:  have you tried LWP?  very nice
package.

ky