While I understand that it might be an "advantage" to allow the customer's
their own mix of modules, it can also be a bit of a support headache as
different customers will be loading different DSOs presumably even in
different orders. There may be subtle bugs with module interaction that
providing a standard set of one or two Apache binaries would solve for the ISP.

However, I do agree that you should not compile in mod_perl and other
modules like it by default for the front-end servers.... The reason is
security. Core Apache is complicated enough without adding to the potential
for buffer overflows.  The more lines of code you add, the greater the
likelihood of bugs, some of those bugs have a likelihood of being security
bugs.

By only having a subset of users using a DSO, or making a back-end server
use this stuff, you could limit the possibility that the main web server
itself is subject to the overflow (although this is still a risky scenario,
it is less risky than compiling everything in one monolithic apache) since
the front-end could be designed to have very little in it except for an
Intrusion Detection system (which I am under the impression that someone is
writing?).

Anyway, I guess it all boils down to balance and the risks (either support
or security) you are willing to take as an ISP. Adding mod_perl certainly
is a risk in itself! But one that I think many of us definatley would not
mind paying extra for as a dedicated server solution is extremely expensive
as it is.

Later,
    Gunther