On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Jesse Wolfe wrote:

> I am working with www.superb.net to get their mod_perl up and working
> again. They have great infrastrucure, lots of great tools, and an amazing
> price.
> They had apache/mod_perl for awhile, and upgrades broke it.  I expect they
> will have it in a week or two, if we can use all these dynamic/shared
> modules as planned.

strikes me (as an owner of a web hosting service) that DSO is the wrong
answer. What does DSO buy you? NOTHING except a complete waste of
memory...

I'm reading between the lines here, but it sounds like you are trying to
have _one_ parent apache daemon that services _everything_ on the machine
(likely _more_ than one website), which would imply that you are going to
have an _extremely_ low hit ratio on your mod_perl scripts.

it strikes me that you _want_ a frontend proxy to feed your requests to
the smallest number of backend daemons which are most likely to already
have compiled your scripts. This saves memory and CPU, while simplifying
the configuration, and of course, for a dedicated backend daemon, DSO buys
nothing... even if that daemon uses access handlers, it still always needs
mod_perl

That said, we bought modperl-space.com back when domains suddenly got
cheap, but haven't put together a mod_perl package because we really don't
know what folks want/are using it for.

> I'm moving my mod-perl project there once I get it going. Have you checked
> out the list on perl.apache.org's documentation?
>
> Jesse
>

> At 01:26 PM 4/12/00 -0400, Gagan Prakash wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I have been looking for mod_perl virtual web hosting companies who have fast
> >servers and good infrastructure but the two I have found so far have either
> >had problems with their mod_perl setups (they installed the module, did not
> >change apache configs or changed them incorrectly) or have been very slow.
> >These two are www.123hostme.com or www.olm.net.

last I heard, olm.net treated their resellers well, but their
tech support to direct clients was supposed to be pretty poor.

> >I would greatly appreciate if somebody could point me in a better direction.
> >
> >Thanks
> >Gagan

[EMAIL PROTECTED]   | Drive thy business, or it will drive thee.
http://BareMetal.com/  | - Benjamin Franklin
web hosting since '95  |