I am curious as to why you don't care for 20 different apaches? If you use
a mod_proxy front-end, it should be relatively easy to manage 20 different
apache's on the backend, especially if you use variables to start them
up.  There is another command line parameter that can be used to trigger
different code in the same conf file (so that they start on different ports
for example)...

In addition, a solid part of testing mod_perl modules consists of running
in single process mode (ala -x parameter)) -- which is invaluable for
finding cached code conflicts.. You won't be able to do this if everyone is
using the same apache.

BTW, this would be a good addition to the guide -- how to manage a mod_perl
development environment with more than 1 developer (eg 20 in your case)

Later,
    Gunther

At 08:35 AM 5/17/00 +0100, Kees Vonk 7249 24549 wrote:
>I have the requirement to set up a number of testing
>environments on the same machine, in order to prevent having
>to run 20 copies of apache I want to try to do this using
>virtual hosts. The problem I am running into is that it is
>very likely that there will be different copies of the same
>in-house modules in the different environments. With the
>modules being cached in memory this causes some problems.
>
>The only way I can think of is to have the different modules
>in different packages, however this would mean I would have
>to change the scripts and modules every time they are
>deployed in order to make them match the environment.
>
>I have a environment variable with a unique environment name
>under every virtual host, so I wondered if I could do
>something like:
>
>script:   use My::$ENV{ENVNAME}::Module;
>
>module:   package My::$ENV{ENVNAME}::Module;
>

>Could anyone tell me if this is possible in any way as I
>cannot get it to work, or if there is another way of
>achieving this.
>

>Kees

Gunther Birznieks ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Extropia - The Web Technology Company