On Fri, 19 May 2000, Gunther Birznieks wrote:

> eg I think there was a thread on this list way back about OO method calls
> versus direct package references... and people said that OO method calls
> have a lot of overhead, but I think in later versions of Perl, OO method
> call paths are cached(?) and so method calls no longer have the same
> overhead as they used to.

there has always been a method cache, but even with that, methods are
still a bit more expensive.  the only improvement in 5.6.0 related to
method calls (that i know of ) is that:

$obj->method; #where method name is constant, know at compile time

is now faster than:

$obj->$method; #where $method isn't known until runtime