At 10:53 AM 5/18/00 -0700, brian moseley wrote:
>On Thu, 18 May 2000, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
>
> > .= concatenation is way faster
>
>i don't have any results to back up my claim. therefore,
>my words are eaten :)
>
>i was convinced tho, even way back before you came to cp. i
>wonder what convinced me!
You never know. Perl comes up with smarter and smarter optimizations all
the time. Perhaps if the same benchmark were run on Perl 5.003 you would
get a different result.

eg I think there was a thread on this list way back about OO method calls
versus direct package references... and people said that OO method calls
have a lot of overhead, but I think in later versions of Perl, OO method
call paths are cached(?) and so method calls no longer have the same
overhead as they used to.

Later,
    Gunther
Gunther Birznieks ([EMAIL PROTECTED])